Global wellbeing for all

 


It was World Mental Health Day on Monday, the 10 th of October. The theme this year is prioritizing mental Health globally.

 Global mental health would be an amazing thing to achieve, however this all starts with you. If we all, one by one, start to look after and maintain our mental health and wellbeing, the ripple effect that would have globally would be amazing.
I often say to people in conversations and in workshops that self-care is not selfish, it is essential. The world is a different place now than it was Ten,Twenty, maybe Thirty years ago across the generations. And we must adapt in diverse ways to modern technology, new ways of living, new ideas, all of those things. However, maintaining your wellbeing should not change. It should be done daily, consistently, in a way that fits around your life.3
People often ask me what do I do to maintain my wellbeing? So, on a daily basis, at a very basic level, I will do breath work, meditation and gratitude, and I do five minutes of each. So, 15 minutes in my day, I get up before everybody else to do that and it really makes a difference to my day.

 I will always try and get out for a walk. I do not always get all my steps in, but a walk is incorporated somewhere in my day.

 I make sure that I connect with other people. This is important. So, whether that is having a conversation on my walk, whether it is lifting the phone to speak to a family member, a friend or a colleague, I always connect with someone every day. We are social people, and we need this.

 So, if you notice someone become withdrawn, maybe not out and about as much as what they usually be, or that you're not in as much contact with them, it's really important for you to reach out.

 You can only reach out and support other people if you are maintaining your wellbeing to a standard where you are feeling well. It is true, you cannot pour from an empty cup. In order to support others, you need to be wee yourself.


We all have good days and bad days, and life can throw us curve balls in any given situation. However, if you're maintaining your wellbeing on a daily basis, this means you build the resilience and potentially the tools so that when these things happen, they don't hit you as hard. It doesn't have as big an impact as what it would if you were not maintaining your wellbeing.

So, keeping on the theme of World Mental Health Day, which is an amazing thing to do, to get conversations going, to get people thinking, to do something for yourself and then turn around and support others.

I encourage you to do it every day. Be kind to yourself, check in on yourself ask, how am I feeling today? If something comes up, do not ignore.
Why am I feeling like this? What has happened? It is very important to know how you are and you can only do this if you're still it is in those quiet moments that we find out how we're feeling, what we need and what we can do about it.

Remember self-care is not selfish it is essential.






www.mentalwealthinternational.com 

Emma Weaver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Important role of boundaries in our lives.

Slow and steady wins.